Wednesday, November 3, 2010

PLN

I must start by apologizing for my recent delay in blog entries. Life and activities have been hectic…in a good way, but close to out of control!

 STUDENT VOICES: I think that the video below has a powerful message.  It is important that we listen to our students and do all that we can to meet their needs in a changing educational setting.  Watch what these kids have to say about the influence of technology in their lives.

 

PUBLIC LEARNING NETWORK

I am asked pretty frequently where I come up with the ideas that I post each week in this blog.  I mostly find these wonderful sites and resources from my Public Learning Network (PLN) of blogs that I follow. Occasionally, I have an original idea.


What is a PLN? A PLN is a way for you to make connections and share ideas and resources. This is something that we as educators do naturally.  We already have connections with colleagues that we work with by design. We have grade level groups, subject areas group, divisional groups, and vertical team groups - just to name a few. 
You can also have a group (meaning a list of sites where you find information) online where you can reach out and connect with educators from around the state, country, and world. Talk about a great resource!


You are probably thinking, "How do I find good blogs to follow?" Well, finding blogs to follow is easy.  I recommend doing a Google search for blogs within your subject area.  Also, I have found that most all of the keynote speakers that I have enjoyed at conferences are bloggers that I read postings from on  a regular basis.  

I have found great comfort in my PLN.  It is nice to share ideas and knowledge with other people and to read ways that they solve some of the same issues that I face within my job duties.

Once you develop a good PLN within the blog world, I recommend that you branch out with TWITTER.  

Do you TWEET?
Let me first start with explaining the difference between
and Facebook.  Posting a TWEET (comment on Twitter) is like texting to the world (your comment is limited to 140 characters) and a response should  not be expected.  Posting on facebook is like talking on a party line - you know who is listening and you want the listeners to comment back.

Below is a short introductory video on how to understand and get started with TWITTER.  Check it out and then follow me @meshelmarie.  Our school also has a Twitter account that you can follow to stay up to date on the latest PA news.  You can search to follow @pulaskiacademy.  Twitter (just like facebook) has  a mobile version for you to use as well.  I have to admit that Twitter is my newest addiction.  There are so many useful resources that are shared.  It is like going to a professional conference all the time and it is fun.




100 Useful YOU-TUBE Channels For Teachers

The link provided contains a list written by Online College Courses of 100 useful YouTube channels for teachers. The content is divided into four parts; general education, science & math, history & world issues, &; visual & performing arts. This is a wonderful list to add to your favorites and your PLN.  You-tube can be an invaluable resource for your classroom.  Don't forget about SAFE MODE.  I discussed this feature a few weeks ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment