StoryTime, Taxes, CarrotSticks, Twisty Noodle,and the Royal Wedding
It has been quite a while since I have written a new entry on available technology resources. Tuesday seems to come around quickly each week. :) Spring is a great time to clean out your old lessons and to try something new. Below I have listed five websites that I hope you will want to add to your collection of resources.
It is a free reading program designed specifically for beginning readers. It allows them to read and listen to enjoyable, online interactive picture books. I love the animations! You can choose between three story topics: Fern the Fox, Flame the Dragon, or Ben the Mouse. Check this site out. It has not been around long, so I am sure that the content will expand as time goes on.
Where did my tax dollars go?
This is a common question that is asked this time of year. The site
http://www.wheredidmytaxdollarsgo.com/ provides students with a fun activity to work through to see exactly where taxed income is distributed. Check it out for yourself. I found it to be eye opening.
CarrotSticks
According to the website, CarrotSticks (http://www.go2web20.net/site/?a=CarrotSticks) is an online Multi-player game that improves math skills for students in grades 1-5. This site will allow them to practice basic math facts and compete with their peers from around the world! I think that our younger students will enjoy this site as well. They will all LOVE designing their own character and earning points by solving problems. I have set up a classroom account for our school that you are welcome to use. Simply go to http://www.carrotsticks.com/pulaski1 or you can set up your own by clicking on the link in the upper right corner of the site. Initially, students will be prompted to create a user name and password. AN email verification is not required, so they can begin playing immediately. With the educational free license, students can practice addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Check it out!
I have been totally absorbed with the Royal Wedding. Emory University provides a wonderful overview of the history behind such an event. Take a few minutes and enjoy this video. I am sure that there is a good history lesson in here somewhere.... it can't be just for fun. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment