Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2011 Resolutions

SNOW DAY #2!!
Well, yesterday was a welcome day off for the Ward house.  We enjoyed being together, ate way to much comfort food, played in the snow, and had a lot of fun in the neighborhood.  Today will prove to be more of the same with snowball fights and sledding.  What a perfect way to start the new year. 

I am guessing that tomorrow will probably be back to the regular routine. This will also be a welcome change.  As the head housekeeper and cook for the Ward Snow Resort, I will be ready to get back to the normal routine.  Before cabin fever sets in I thought I would share with you a few websites to help make these wintry days at home a little more fun.



MAKE-A-FLAKE
http://snowflakes.barkleyus.com/ is a fun website that will allow you to create your own snowflakes.  Little ones will love this.




FUN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
Below is a website that will give you several ideas for some fun games to play in the snow.  I really liked this one.  After a little while, the snowball fight can get old and you need something to change it up. http://boyslife.org/outdoors/outdoorarticles/2576/winter-camping/ 











THE GUARDIAN
This is the time of year when we are flooded with recap stories of the past 12 months. 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2010/dec/22/2010-year-review is a website that will provide you with a year in review for each day of the year or by month.  I think that this site would be a wonderful instructional tool for social science classes discussing current events.  However, the absolute best part about this site is that it allows you to create your own year in review.  I am really excited about this and plan to make one for myself to share with my family.  The steps are simple and easy to follow.  You just need a good memory and photos downloaded to your computer. 




2011 RESOLUTIONS
At the beginning of each year resolutions are made.  I have made many over the years - all of which I have given a valiant effort.  However, some have died out before the goal in mind was realized.  Some of my goals have been personal and some have been professional.  This year, I have decided to make goals for both areas of my life.  One of my professional goals is all about you!  I want to:


Transform each classroom into a place where students are engaged and teachers are inspired.


I challenge each of you to take this semester and try something new in your classes.  Pick something that you can get excited about and see instant results.  Read back through this blog to get some ideas or browse the web for 2.0 tools.  I am here to help, support, inspire, cheer, and assist in the implementation of your ideas.  I hope that you will take action to make a difference in the way our children learn.


Below is an EDUCATIONAL CHANGE CHALLENGE by Darren Cannell.  Please take a few minutes to watch this video.  The main question being asked is:  Are you preparing student for their world or for yours?




No comments:

Post a Comment