Tuesday, May 4, 2010

VOCAB SUSHI & Document Camera Uses

VOCAB SUSHI (http://www.vocabsushi.com )  This is such a wonderful find for our MS and US. It is a vocabulary builder that is really smart and just plain fun.  I am a very competitive person so I took on the challenge with a smile. This site allows you to build your vocabulary through never-ending games with real-world usage that are tailored to your skill level.  It is also FREE.  I set up an account for myself to see what I thought.  I selected a user name and password then I selected from a list of tests that I wanted to prepare for (or I could have skipped this step).  I chose the GRE because it is the most recent standardized test that I have taken (even though it was a long time ago).  The choices are listed below.



After the account is set up, you will go through a very short diagnostic test to determine your skill level.  I really felt like the pressure was on but I did better than I thought I would.  After 20 questions with varying formats, VOCAB SUSHI provided me with a list of 300 words to review.  I now have the ability to play games with words from my list, take a practice quiz, listen to an MP3 of the pronunciation and definition of the word, and then review my progress. 

MS and US Teachers - Please share this site with your students.  Take 15 to 30 minutes a month and have your class practice vocabulary.  I bet they will thank you for it later. :)

AUCTION NEWS:

As a result of the DISCO BALL, $72,000 has been spent to add new equipment into many of our classrooms.  We have been able to purchase:
6 projectors
22 SMARTBoards
33 Document Cameras
9 Laptop Computers
As this new equipment is implemented into our classrooms, I will be sharing ways to enhance instruction with each of the items listed above.  This is such an exciting time for PA.  I am just thrilled.

DOCUMENT CAMERA USES

1.  Get students involved in class.  
             *Sharing of individual or group work
             *Use as a tool to enhance student presentations
             *Display group brainstorming ideas
             *Display clear and concise directions
2.  Meaningful Assessment and Guidance.
            *Share scoring rubrics
            *Display classroom quizzes and self check options
            *Digital flashcards
3.  Audio/Video Recording Capabilities.
              *Use as a video camera to record interviews
              *Record dissections to allow students to experience the material even if they cannot participate    themselves
             *Record student presentations
             *Record class participation
             *Record demonstrations to allow students to review the material as many times as needed
              *Use as a webcam with SKYPE
4.  Use Image Capture.
             *Capture student photos for project, identification, records, and special days
             *Save time by taking snapshots to post online rather than using a scanner
             *Use time-lapse photography to document plant growth from seed to green plant or flower blooming and then create a fast forward sequence to share with students.
5. Visual Comparison and Examination
            *Allow students to compare different species and discuss their similarities and differences
            *Share 2-D and 3-D object simultaneously
            *Display a side-by-side comparison of objects
            *Compare book images with live materials
            *Share live animals or objects which cannot easily be passed around the class.
6. Illustration/Diagramming/Charting
           *Demonstrate market trends
           *Provide visual time frames and historical happenings
           *Present Ven diagram work.
7.  Math Specific
           *Displaying geometric shapes
           *Illustrate fractions
           *Display specific steps to working through a problem
8.  Science Specific
         * Dissections - walking students through the specifics as they perform the dissection as well
          *Rotate/zoom objects/images without touching them
          *Allow students to observe habitats closely and over time
          *Demonstrate a litmus test
          *Freeze action in an experiment at a critical moment for better observation
9.  Language Arts Specific
         * Let the entire class take turns reading aloud from the pages of a single book projected on the screen.
         *When reading aloud from a class set of books, project the correct page on the screen to ensure that everyone is together
         *Share a writing prompt
         *Show students' writing examples to provide positive feedback, reinforce effort, or provide recognition
10.  Games
         *Bring in a mystery object and have students guess what it is
         *Play trivia games to test students on current events
         *Score classroom games
         *Have students race to identify kinds of leaves, rocks or other science examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment