Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Google's WONDER WHEEL

WONDER WHEEL

An idea web is a great way for students to plan out a project or paper.  It helps to organize and categorize thoughts in order to construct a well researched and thoroughly covered topic.  GOOGLE has come up with a wonderful tool called the WONDER WHEEL.  This tool takes your search term and turns it into an idea web diagram with related terms.  Here is how it works:

1. Go to www.google.com
2. Key in your desired search term.  I typed in Technology Integration in the Classroom.
3. Click on the SHOW OPTIONS button (top left of the screen)
4. Look down the list on the left hand side of the screen until you find WONDER WHEEL.
5. Click to select WONDER WHEEL
You will see a graphic of your search term with related terms on the spokes of the wheel.

If you click on one of the extended spokes of the wheel you will then receive a second wheel with recommended search terms.  For Example, I clicked on the term STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT.  The results are listed below.


In order to return to the original wheel, just simply click on the original search term.

Students often tell me in the computer lab that they "just can't find anything." The majority of the time they have only completed one search.  I encourage them to use the BOOLEAN operators and to use the WONDER WHEEL.  I hope that you will try it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment