Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TextServ

A few topics this week that are just really fun.

1. Space Shuttle
A funny story that I do not mind sharing. This morning was a crazy one and I was running late. As I walked my little ones up to the ECS, I noticed how many students were hanging out in the court yard. I thought to myself how great that was that they were enjoying each other and the beautiful weather. Then, I walked back in the MS building to see a group of teachers and students standing in front of the MS building looking into the sky. I asked them what was going on and they pointed up to the sky and commented on the shuttle. I immediately felt like I had missed an important event. I can't believe that I didn't point this out to my children in our mad rush to be on time. So, here I go off to you tube to see if I can see the shuttle from there since I missed the real deal. I love the Internet! 


2. TextServ (Sending TEXT via E-mail)
This may not be new to you but I had no idea that I could do this until I read a blog entry by Mr. Zimmer from Hopkins County Central High School. I have tested this out and it is just super cool.

1. Start with a new e-mail message
2. Type in the ten digit phone number of the person that you want to text followed by @txt.att.net (My carrier is AT&T) in the "To:" box.
3. Key in your message. You are limited to 160 characters or your recipient will receive multiple text.
  • Standard rates for text messaging will apply
  • If you have a signature in your email, you need to delete it prior to sending. Otherwise, it will be included in the message.
  • The reply will come to your email, not your phone.
This would be a great way for you to reach your students and remind them about events, clubs and organization meetings, as well as stay in contact with a team you are coaching. People (especially students) are rarely without their phone. You could set up a distribution list with all of their numbers and send out a bulk text very quickly from your e-mail. Pretty cool.


List of Carriers:
Cell#@vtext.com - Verizon
Cell#@txt.att.net - AT&T


If you don't see your wireless carrier on this list, just search for it, or contact the company. Most companies should have this option.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted that! I thought someone had dropped something big on our roof! It wasn't until that afternoon I realized what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! I'm in love with the text from email. I'm already using this with family and friends. Can't wait to use this next year with my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete