Tuesday, April 6, 2010

BLOG Commenting, Paper Rater, & Zui Tube

BLOG COMMENTING
I am so happy with the verbal feedback that I have received and the number of new projects that have come about as a result of my weekly post, I have concluded that the lack of commenting is due to the fact that you must have a Google account in order to actively participate on the blog.

Click here to set up your Google account https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount

After it is created, you can comment on this blog and any others that you desire.  I hope to hear from you soon. :)

PAPER RATER
http://www.paperrater.com/ is a free website that I think is really good.  We have been looking for a long time for a good option to check student work for plagiarism.  This site might just be the thing we need.  This site can be used by students and teachers.  It is very simple and is marketed as a tool for students to pre-grade their papers for grammar, spelling, and plagiarism.
1.  Go to http://www.paperrater.com/
2.  Click on USE NOW FREE
3.  Key in the title of the paper
4.  Paste the body of the text in the space provided
5.  Paste your works cited entries into the space provided
6.  Select the type of paper from the option drop down
7. Click to agree to the term of use
8. Click GET REPORT

I would love for the Middle and Upper School Departments to try this one out.  Share it with your students and try it on some of their papers.  This site has received good reviews but I want to know if this is something that will meet our needs here at PA.

I think that this can also be a nice tool for beginning writers.  What if a teacher submitted a writing sample from a student (or made one up) and then the class went over the corrections together as a group.  This could be a nice tool for introducing a more complex sentence structure, diagramming sentences, spelling, etc..  You could compare the scores that the entry received from the website as a before and after changing around a few words, rewriting, or adding additional detail.  Use the projector to shine this site onto your SMARTboard or white board and draw corrections all over it with the markers...... or even better.... let the students. 

ZUITUBE
http://video.kidzui.com/ is a website that is overflowing with fun videos that are all kid friendly and classroom safe.  This site is marketed as having the largest online video collection for kids.  I have taken some time to check this out and it really does have a lot to choose from.  Many of the videos are just for fun ( Wow Wow WUBZZY and iCarly) but there are so many that can be used in the classroom for instructional purposes.  Check this one out and see what you think.  The little WARD kids really liked it. 

Once you go to the site, I found it easiest to click on the CHANNELS tab at the top and then search through the pages to see all of the categories.  I think that 6th grade and below will enjoy this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment