Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Now Is The Time

#1:  American Idol starts tonight.... set your DVR.


#2:  Creating a TIMELINE

I personally think that Utilizing a timeline is very helpful in regards to understanding the full picture of how an event came to be or how a person or place impacted history, the environment, etc... 

Below I have discussed two online options for creating a timeline for instructional purposes, student projects, or personal family history.

http://timeglider.com/
- Probably the best of the two listed here because part of the site's focus is education. The timeline itself has a lot of neat features. The zoom feature makes it easy to move from one year/decade to another, so if you are doing an expansive timeline, that can come in handy. You can add links to a URL and pictures to the timeline as well.  Overall, I think that TimeGlider would be a great addition to any project. It does require email and password setup, but does not require email verification to use. Something that is always a plus.

http://www.capzles.com/ - Capzles is a neat little website. It does not necessarily create a timeline of historic events, but more of a way for you to document an event as it happens using pictures. Think of it as a Digital Story Timeline. You put the pictures in the order things happened, with a little text on top of the picture, and you have a timeline of your event. I think that this site would be great to document a field trip, but not necessarily for a histoircal timeline. However, it is still a site worth checking out.

Here is a link to an example that I created.  When you open the link - double click to read the text.
http://www.capzles.com/e445904a-af49-4909-8bef-4a77987c5ede/ 

These two sites are by no means the only resources for TIMELINE creation.  These sites simply stuck out to me as I looked around the Internet for resources. If any of you create a timeline or assign one to your students, I would love for you to share it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment