Tuesday, January 26, 2010

This might be long....


Did you notice?  I have a new avatar on the left hand side of the screen. Press the play button to hear a voice message from me.  I know that this avatar is not really "instructional technology" or "helpful" but it is "super cool."  I created it on a website called http://www.voki.com/  I plan on having a new avatar each week.  You should check it out.  If you are a blogger yourself, add one to your site!

DISCO FOR TECHNO

The Technology Support Auction is Febraury 27th.  Click on the link on the left of the screen to find out the newest information regarding this event.  I am so thrilled that the proceeds this year will be going directly back into our classrooms for instructional technology.  Thank you in advance for your support and I hope to see you there.  Let's make this our best year yet.

Is it wrong to brag?

In just the few short weeks I have been blogging, I have seen sparks of success around campus.  Just today, I communicated with 4 teachers regarding glogging with their students.  I have answered numerous questions about google, and the list goes on......  I am just happy to know that people are actually reading what I have to say.  I started this blog because I wanted our teachers to try blogging in their classrooms (a beginning step into the web 2.0 education world).  As the Director of Instructional Technology it is my job to expose and educate our faculty on emerging appropriate classroom techology.  In addition to the regular technology PD offering that are available for faculty/staff, this blog will continue to serve as a resource for additional information. 

SIDE NOTE:  Two teachers in MS are blogging.  SUCCESS. (Who is going to be next?)

SIDE NOTE:  An instructional GLOG created by Mrs. Gorman for her 7th grade students studying The Diary of Anne Frank
http://pollsk.edu.glogster.com/anne-frank/?voucher=c4161ca24217a0a5aaa22415cc056263
Hint:  anything with a pink circle is a link and there is a video in the bottom center.  Good work Mrs.Gorman.

Item of the Week:

PREZI

Prezi is an amazing presentation tool.
“Prezi” at http://prezi.com/  is a Web 2.0 tool that combines concept maps, posters, and presentations, all into one very nicely integrated package. This application will allow you to create non-linear presentations where you can zoom in and out of a visual map containing words, links, images, and videos. This way you can give your audience “big picture” overviews, as well as zooming in to view extreme details. So instead of slides (PowerPoint), you will create a large map and basically zoom around it while you do your presentation.  The down side is that your creations are not printable - yet.

I have provided a few examples that  I think you will enjoy.  These do not include audio but you can imagine the dialog that a presentor/instructor would say.  With PREZI,  I really feel that you are less likely to loose your audience.... we want our students engaged in our classroom presentations.  We also want them equipped for the roads ahead.  Our students are very proficient at creating age-apropriate PowerPoint presentations.  Challenge them to do something new!

A very powerful PREZI on WEB 2.0 tools.  (Continue to click the play button to move through the presentation)



 A wonderful PREZI on the 7 Ancient Wonders of the World (Continue to click the play button to move through the presentation)







The PREZI.com website has a showcase section where you can search for creations that others have made and shared. There is a long list of resources available to borrow. However, if you would like to create your own PREZI for your curriculum, it is SO SIMPLE that you will be hooked.

Below is an original creation by me. It is on PA!  I made this just for fun to learn how to use the software.
(Continue to click the play button to move through the presentation)


 




Below is a link to a PREZI that will walk you through your first creation.  Happy Zooming.
http://prezi.com/prezi/27/try/#117

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I am so excited that others at PA have started Blogging and Glogging. This Prezi thing is awesome! The end product looks like it should have taken forever to create but it is really simple. My mind is churning to discover ways to implement this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diane. It really didn't take that long to create. I figured it out on paper first and then just assembled the pieces. Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete