Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Just GOOGLE it.

Have you ever GOOGLED the best way to GOOGLE on GOOGLE?  Me either.  However, there are several shortcuts that are available to use to maximize your search results when using this wonderful tool.  I have listed a few items below that I hope you find helpful. 

Trying to find specific file types?
 - key the word filetype followed by a colon and a space after your search term
 - EXAMPLE:  Canon manual filetype: pdf
 This example will produce a pdf file for that new canon digital camera that you just got but you trashed the manual with the wrapping paper. 

You can also search for PowerPoint files, Excel files, etc.  Maybe you need a PPT to show in class today on how to compare and order numbers.  Simply key in comparing and ordering numbers filetype: ppt

Trying to narrow down information?
 - key a hyphen (minus sign) between words with a space before but not after the hyphen
 - EXAMPLE:  Jaguar -animal -football
This example will produce search results for the car and not the animal or the football team. 

Trying to find a verbatim phrase?
- key quotation marks around a phrase, person's name, or keywords to eliminate unnecessary results.
EXAMPLE:  "Pulaski Academy"
This example search produced 46,100 hits. The same search on GOOGLE without the quotation marks produced 105,000 hits.   Our school is the #1 hit for this search!

Trying to find movie showtimes?
 - key in "movies" (with the quotations) plus your city and zip code
EXAMPLE: "movies" Little Rock 72223
This example provides a list of available theaters and showtimes in the little rock area.

Want to GOOGLE without a Smartphone?
 - Text your question to 466453 and GOOGLE will send an answer back to your question? (standard messenging rates apply)
 - EXAMPLE: If I text RAZORBACK PIZZA to 466453, GOOGLE will text me back with the address and phone number. 
This is really fun and worth a try!

I have enjoyed the positive responses that many of you have shared with me.  I am finding that I love blogging.  Please feel free to leave a comment if you would like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment